[Fife Linux Users Group] Implications of /var filling up?

Jim McLaren Jim at blackfingernail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:05:13 BST 2007

On Thursday 20 September 2007 12:44, John A Thomson of Roundtrip Solutions
wrote:
> Anyone care to educate me to the implications of /var sitting at 96% full!
> Does this have a detrimental effect on overall system performance?

Eventually X will not load. I had a client who's root partition was full (of
which var was part), and the way it revealed itself was he couldn't get a
gui. To get round the problem we created a new partition for /var, and a
symlink to it. We also did the same for /home, and that emptied the root
partition.

What is it that is filling up /var?

--
Jim