[StALUG] trying out Gentoo

Rory Beaton rb36 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Aug 12 10:14:04 UTC 2010

Hi Garry,

I'm not too familiar with Gentoo but my impressions of it were that it looks
great for building a minimalist or highly customised system tailored to a
specific application but a lot of effort for a standard box. If I wanted
something minimalist, I'm not sure I'd want to install the entire toolchain
necessary to build Gentoo. And I suppose I've never recovered from waiting
upwards of 10 hours for X to build on a DEC 3000 running NetBSD...

I'm a confirmed SuSE and/or ubuntu/debian advocate these days - ubuntu's Long
Term Support (LTS) model is better than anything else on offer at the price
(free) and their server build is fairly compact. SuSE's Yast2 is a nice tool
and the console version is great for remote admin but debian's apt-get is just
a dream come true!

Virtualbox does have some issues and my best advice would be to get the latest
build directly from Sun/Oracle. I've failed to get Win7 to install and have had
problems getting various CAD/modelling apps installed on XP in Vbox on my ubuntu
workstation.

rb