[StALUG] Happy Wednesday

Stuart McCulloch Anderson stuart-stalug at nx15.me.uk
Thu Jun 25 09:45:10 UTC 2020

I'm glad there's still people here! David is good to hear from you again, I
really was away for far too long

I think the most important part of any LUG is community. If we can build a
foundation we can build on top of it.

Let me start with a little background. I've been a Linux desktop user since
1997 when I installed my first Red Hat box and stuck with Linux right up
till Windows 10 when I switched back (honesty can't remember why, but it
was probably Steams fault). I've been running Linux servers for almost as
long and live playing with new things.

I decided to come back the Linux desktop with Ubuntu 20.04 - I'd only
planned to do a duel boot, but might have wiped my Windows boot loder so
until I can be bothered to fix it I'm all in again.

When I went to Dundee I got involved with the Dundee LUG and eventuality
was elected chair of its successor and ran the LUG for five or so years
till I moved back to Fife.

In the current world I wouldn't suggest planning a meeting... But it wound
be nice to have a LUG that meets in person.

How about a quick straw pole?

How wound you like to build a community? I'm not sure mailing list still
have the same reach they used to, but there's are options now

* mailing lists
* irc (assuming people still use it?)
* discord
* matrix.org - this one's new to me but so far I'm actually loving it
(anything I can self host usually wins my vote)

Stuart