[StALUG] Happy Wednesday

Stuart McCulloch Anderson stuart-stalug at nx15.me.uk
Thu Jun 25 19:20:36 UTC 2020

So that's two against Discord.

Matrix is a decentralized communication protocol which supports
end-to-end encryption. You can create a free account at matrix.org (or
host the server your self) and still connect to any other public matrix
room and chat with users across servers. The clients are also much nicer
than any IRC ones I've found -- Sorry I've only been playing with it for
a few days now but its really grabbed me

However, mailing list are good but I still think a more instant chat is
good where people can pop in and out of and talk about stuff that's too
off topic to be on the mailing list so my preference is mailing list and
Matrix, but I'm playing with installing a Matrix <-> IRC bridge so if
the majority favor IRC I'll go with it.

If we do go for IRC can I suggest #stalug on Freenode?

I still remember finding my first Red Hat in a PC World in Glasgow. I
think it was still on floppy disc! I also remember trying Mandrake at
some point but didn't stick at that one long. I did user Gentoo for a
while though but eventually got tired of compiling everything needed to
install it and went on to Fedora, but I've now been using Ubuntu 6.

Stuart