[Sussex] INSIDE: A daemons story

Mark Olliver mpo at thermeoneurope.com
Fri Aug 23 21:10:01 UTC 2002

I think that is probably a good idea, however, would it not be better to
design it from scratch to be all those things or to be able to handle them
if not use them straight away, as this would save work in the future.

Mark

At 13:21 23/08/2002, you wrote:
>INSIDErs
>
>Had some thoughts while driving in this morning and I would
>like to run them by you.  Sort of gets team buy-in.
>
>Thinking about the similarities between the tasks of the INSIDE
>server daemon and Apache they appear to be pretty similar to me.
>
>Therefore, it would be much better, at least for the first few
>releases, to have the daemon only run from inetd(1).  This makes
>the input/output much easier as all one has to do it read(2) from
>file descriptor 0 and write(2) to file descriptor 1 (or 2 - same
>stream).
>
>This would mean:
>  * inetd(1) will take care of the multi-requests aspects.
>     The second, third, fourth... connections get a new
>     process each.
>  * The server can exit(2) when it's work is complete.
>  * The HUP signal wouldn't need to be caught.
>     Normally daemons catch HUP and re-read their config files.
>     Short lived daemons run with that config until complete
>      - then exit
>  * The KILL signal will be much simpler in its design.
>  * Daemon design should be very much simpler (no multi-
>     threading logic - this stuff can get hairy).
>  * Daemon has to make more use of file locks to coordinate
>     it's manipulation of the document files.  We can thus
>     make local admin commands not run through the daemon.
>
>Your thoughts and comments please.
>
>Steve

Mark Olliver
<http://www.thermeoneurope.com/e-Card?uid=mpo>Thermeon Europe E-Card