[Sussex] Success!

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Sun Dec 1 18:12:01 UTC 2002

On 01 December 2002 at 11:44 John Crowhurst wrote:
> > I'm a little confused because the -s option on the modprobe says to use
> > the system logger - how much of the boot sequence works.  I'm guessing
> > that the kernel is turning control over to init just before you see this
> > message.
>
> When a system boots, the early stages of boot will be displayed on the
> console  until the kernel logger starts up. Rootdisk mounting is still
> part of the kernel operation, and as control has not been
> passed to user
> level, the entries won't go to syslog until the kernel is
> ready to do so.

This is why I'm a little confused.  Dom's posting logged the messages:
    'Failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major3, errno=2'
    'VFS Cannot open root device 386 or 03:06'
    'please append a correct root= boot option'

The first error message comes from <kernel-source>/fs/kmod.c, the other
two from init/do_mounts.c.

<rant>
  I've built in IDE-DISK support (rather than as a module - which is how
  I think I configured his kernel - I don't see any need to make anything
  a module that will always be needed - it just makes the kernel run
slower).
</rant>

Dom - just a little thought: Have you turned the IDE subsystem into a
module?  The question that comes to my mind is how is the kernel going
to load the fs module?  Modules are stored on the disk and the module to
load the module is a module which is on disk which needs a module to load
it which is stored on disk which needs a module to load it which is a
module stored on disk...panic: Infinite loop :-)