[Sussex] General update

The ol' tealeg geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net
Mon Dec 16 01:17:00 UTC 2002

Evening, er.. morning chaps,

Haven't posted for a couple of days, thought I'd keep you all up to
date..

Firstly - I see that we've had two new people sign up over the weekend,
neither had posted anything yet, but I thought I should say "Hi" and
welcome you both to the group!  It's normal form to send a quick
introductory message to the group to let us know who you are and what
your level of ability and interests are.  Please don't feel intimidated
if you're new to all this - no question is too silly - otherwise take
from us all what you will.

I've had another happy weekend has been spent hacking away at CORBA - I
have to say that I've always found these kind of "hard-object"
architectures a lot of fun to play with!

Anyhow, for anyone who is interested I've now had a play with ORBit,
TAO, omniORB and MICO.  All of them seem to work very well (I'm not yet
knowledgeable enough to comment on their comparative performance).  From
a learning point of view I'd have to recommend omniORB 4.0 because it
quite simply has the best documentation I've seen in any of the free
ORB's (most of the others have nothing more than a breif "Hello world"
in CORBA) - so I've settled there for the moment, and very happy I am
to.  I should note that all of these ORB's have both C++ and Python
bindings - though ORBit is generally best used with straight C.

omniORB 4.0 is now (as of this weekend) available in the Gentoo
portage tree for those of you who are interested, and I should point out
(for the growing legion of Gentoo converts (or should that be perverts
;-) ) that the full 1.4 release should be with us sometime around
Christmas.

...and finally (as seems to required by protocol these days), I should
say that this message [you must use Gentoo] contains no [failing that
use Debian] subliminal [I took the pepsi challenge and chose Bing!]
advertising or [Remmington, I liked it so much I bought the company]
product placement of [Grahams, 007's incontinence pad of choice] any
kind ;-)

PS. we still need to agree a meeting place for Tuesday night - lets get
that sorted ASAP.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net