[Sussex] Kernel 2.5.47 Problems

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 09:45:00 UTC 2002

Morning Steve :)

Steve wrote:
-------------
> To quote Captain main()wearing, "You stupid boy" :-)

Now you're starting to sound like my dad.. ..stop it.. ;-)

> Beyond here lie dragons.....

...and all fortf of beaftief diverfe and wonderouf

> Did you get a core dump from tuxracer?  If so did you check
> it?  My guess is
> that you were out of memory at the time and malloc() returned
> a zero which
> was
> not checked for my the tuxracer developer.  If my guess is
> correct: "Bad
> texracer developer!!!"

Actually, you have the right problem but the wrong developer.  It was libPNG
that was to blame.

Frankly, I wasn't that fussed (although I send a bug report in) - I wouldn't
have even attempted to play a fast-3d game along side a large compilation
and a mail client on Windows..

> Hold on a momement - You're compiling a development kernel
> with GCC 3.2!!!!!

Yup.. I'm a speed freak ;)

> Major risk. The kernel team don't support 3.2 yet.  In fact the kernel
> build (so I've been told) does build/work if you turn off or
> change some
> of the optomisation options from 2.95.4.  Have you ruled out
> the compiler
> as being the problem here?  If you haven't I suggest to try compiling
> against GCC 2.95.4 and report back.

Answer.

Already tried that, first thing I did was switch the link in /usr/bin to
point to the 2.95 binary (this ultimately would cause other problems but I
wanted to eliminate it), the result is the same.

I agree GCC 3.2 makes life a little more "fun" but shouldn't be the problem.
I have succesfully earlier 2.5 kernels with 3.2 and I know several gentoo
people have compiled and run 2.5.47 under 3.2.

Really what I need to know is what happens with loading the kernel prior to
it producing any output - something is hanging it very quickly.

It's not really that important.. ...I only pulled it because I'd read it was
up to 3 times faster in some core functions, and like I said, I'm a speed
junkie.. ..I need to be to keep my old P3 performing OK in the face of ever
expanding software.

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company