[Sussex] GNU, things to come?

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 13:20:01 UTC 2002

Hi Geoff

Yes, 'Baby Driver' is a S&G song.  I like playing with double meanings.  ie.
this is a 'Baby Driver' in the sense that it is being worked on. :-)

Taking the point of your argument about GNU.  This would be a great
opportunity for me to 'give something back', as I am very greatful for all
the help I'm getting both in learning and implementing.  In fact the very
open way in which I see the SLUGS helping each other is very refreshing to
see.

However, conversely, most people in other areas of life hog their knowlege
dearly.  This of course is considered to be niche building.  What in fact
actually happens is that an organisation's knowledge ends up primarily in a
select few's heads.  When one of these either leaves or ends up as garbage
disposal on some motorway, the organisation ends up having to re-invent the
wheel.  Of course maintenance on a daily basis is also a pain, because the
poor developers have to run around like headless chickens trying to gather
necessary info (as you know, we both know a place like that!).  I wonder, as
Linux becomes more and more an accepted paradigm in corporate life, will the
GNU philosophy begin the big melt in working practices?

brevetti/docs/
knuth_letter_en.html

- Geoff

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company