[Sussex] newbie

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Nov 25 18:08:00 UTC 2002

On 25 Nov 2002 Adam Smith wrote:
> Hi, I'm a new member to the list and I've been told it's a good idea to
> introduce myself.

Hi Adam and welcome to the list

> I'm 16 years old and from Eastbourne.  Currently studying Maths,
> Economics, Computing and German at Park College, Eastbourne.  I'm
> currently running Gentoo 1.4rc1 on my main box - an Athlon XP1600 AROIA
> @ 1.837 (hopefully more when I install my watercooling), 256mb PC2700
> Crucial and an 80gb 'cuda IV.

Hay someone else from Eastbourne.  Geoff we have someone else trying to
talk your seat for a lift home.  :-)

> I'm relatively new to linux.  I was tied to Bill's apron strings until
> around a month ago when I installed Gentoo linux....

Are another Gentoo user - say "Hello" to Geoff.  Geoff meet Adam.

> So far I'm loving Linux, I've actually been able to sell/give away most
> of my other boxes as for some reason I no longer need them.  I first
> decided to try linux after installing Smoothwall.  I was so impressed by
> the way it could operate router and firewall functions with perfect
> reliability whilst making frugal use of resources.

Arrrrh! time for your first :-)  Don't give away old machine - just run
Linux on them and turn them into servers.  You too can have a home network.
You too can learn to go to sleep admist the gental hum of CPU and case fans
:-)
Jokeing apart, that is what old machines are for.  Playing with running a
network.

> I'm also new to mailing lists, so please bear with me if I make an idiot
> of myself.

So far you're doing fine.