[Sussex] the who/what/why/when of processes ( proc-i ? ;)

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 11:55:02 UTC 2002

Dunk wrote:
===========
> clearly its not the best language atm for this sort of thing
> but if speed is not a factor then its a damn fast prototyping
> language.

A good point, although I'd never thought of PHP in this manner.

I find it very useful to have good prototyping tools.

For something like that I would use Ruby as my script language of choice for
because it makes it very easy to implement an OO design quickly to check
that it works as I expect.

IMHO Perl is not really suitable as an OO prototyping language because it's
implementation is a result of evolution rather than setting out to do the
job properly in the first place - it cannot cleanly and easily represent the
structure that I would implement in the "real" application.

Python is better but still has to many oddities to prevent it being
worthwhile for prototyping.

Generally any of them is fine for procedural prototyping - but I would
advocate writing anything non-trivial in an OO manner so procedural
prototyping is not something that I do very often.

All of these languages are fine in their own right and have their place for
application development and I would encourage anyone who is serious about
running a LINUX/UNIX machine to learn at least one of them (or at least BASH
scripting).

Frankly however, if speed and efficiency is the ultimate goal you wouldn't
be using any of these languages for the finished product.

--
Geoff Teale
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company