[Sussex] Exim problems

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Sep 9 11:04:01 UTC 2002

Geoff
> From: Geoff Teale
>
> Hi SLUGS,
>
> I have a mail problem..  as I've mentioned before mail agent
> set-up is an area where I am a complete numb-skull...
>
> I decided to bite the bullet and set up exim and fetchmail on
> the debian 3 box I'm going to use for INSIDE development.

Welcome to Debian Woody.

> Fetchmail is up and running and seems to be working fine,
> however Exim has proven to be somewhat of a pain.
<snip>

When I get home tonight I'll send you my exim config file.  It
does some receipt re-writing and handle incoming mail to any of
my three e-mail addresses (steve at dobson.org, dobbo at debian.org,
<anything>@krasnegar.demon.co.uk).

It also has a dynamic SMARTHOST config that works for my laptop
depending how I'm connected.  Should provide a good template for
your site.

It works for me if I connect via a third party connection (say at
a conference) where I use POP3 to pull my mail, and when I'm dialled
in to my ISP (Demon) which SMTP my e-mail straight to my laptop.

All out-going e-mail is sent via a smart host.