[Sussex] LINUX on Sun 64bit Kit

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Tue Sep 10 14:37:00 UTC 2002

On 10/9/02 2:29 pm, "Steve Dobson" <SDobson at manh.com> wrote:

> Neil
>
>> From: Neil Ford
>> On 10/9/02 1:51 pm, "Steve Dobson" <SDobson at manh.com> wrote:
>>> Geoff/Neil
>>> Trust Sun to get it wrong again - why not just submit the patches to the
>>> appropriate project?
>>>
>> Because it's a branding issue, Sun want to sell you the boxes
>> running a Sun OS, I believe.
>
> That thought had crossed my mind.  But I still see that as brain dead.
> Someone is going to ask for the source, and get it into the kernel anyway.

I'll fully admit to never fully understanding GPL licensing (it's why I use
FreeBSD by choice :-) ) but if they haven't added stuff to the kernel, can't
they use closed source drivers which they don't need to disclose.

>> I don't have the full details, unfortunately.
>
> From Sun you never will.

But seeing as I'm drinking buddies with one of the senior developers.....
:-)

Neil.
--
Neil Ford