[Sussex] UK Linux Expo

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 13:43:00 UTC 2002

Neil wrote:
===========
> Last year you could see the tumbleweed blowing between the stands :-)

Actually that'd be OK.  At least you wouldn't have to fight for access to
things.

> I genuinely hope it's better than last year, when the
> majority of people
> manning booths were suits (Debian's booth being an obvious
> exception) who
> really only knew what was in the marketing bumph.

Hmm... that sounds bad.. but of course you can indulge in the popular geek
sport of making stupid people look stupid.  One of the best times I've ever
had was when the powers-that-be at Thomson Corporation said we all had to go
on a range of MCSE courses.  It was wonderful.  As the brainless automaton
of an instructor announced that "Windows NT4 is a secure platform within in
minutes of getting it out of the box" and with perfect timing the background
of his desktop (which was being shown via a projector) changed to black with
phosphor green writing saying "chown Linux /world".  The poor guy hadn't a
clue what was going on or why a room full of qualified and experienced
engineers were wetting themselves.

> For the true knowledge, it's the pub over the road and the parties
> afterwards.... And occasionally the coffee area if you get lucky.

Cool.. I'll bear it in mind.

> I'll be there simply because I can write the whole thing off
> as a business
> trip (but no, that doesn't mean I'll be splashing the cash on
> the bevies I'm
> afraid :-( )

I can just imagine the announcement on the Tannoy - "Ladies and geeks,
please make you way to bar across the road where Neil Ford has agreed to get
them in.  Please organise yourself into groups based upon your beverage
preference."

It would of course be an instant way of gaining kudos in the community and
simultaneously organising the shortest Linux Beer Hike ever.

PS.  I just spell checked this e-mail by mistake.. I think Microsoft has
rigged the spellchecker in outlook.  The noun "Debian" came out as the noun
"Deviant".. oh dear.. :)

--
Geoff Teale
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company