[Sussex] JBoss start guide

Dominic dominic.clay at cardinus.com
Thu Apr 3 12:33:01 UTC 2003

Steve,

I found this pdf quite helpful, It is out of date, but to be honest it isn't
that inaccurate...
What are you going to try using JBoss for?  The great thing about it is, it
is not a single application, but a suite of apps for all thing J2EE.  Like a
kind of Apache.org for J2EE.  Obviously the two organisations are reasonably
linked.  Indeed the Servlet container of choice for JBoss would be Apache
Jakarta Tomcat.

The JNDI implementation that JBoss uses is IIOP rather than the more
standard RMI that JAVA would normally use.   I found this a real pain, but
in truth it is more flexible for true distributed environs.  RMI makes
Java-Java simpler though :)

JBoss should install 'out of the box' really.  If you install from source,
you will need Apache Ant (IMVHO the most cool build tool in the world!) and
a number of other dependancies (Xerces XML Parser I think is one of them).

http://belnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/jboss/JBoss.3.0QuickStart.Draft
3.pdf

Theres loads more to discuss about JBoss given time...  (My next project I
hope will use JBoss for Web Services. - XML, XML and more XML :) )

Dominic