[Sussex] Gentoo moves to RPM

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 13:48:02 UTC 2003

Steve W. wrote:
---------------
> Fair enough, horses for courses. I've got enough spare boxes to give
> Debian a go, but Gentoo is going to have to wait. Besides, apt seems a
> very convenient way to manage one's distro, and I've not
> heard anything
> bad about it.

Nor will I say anything bad about apt.  Joking aside, Debian is a fine
distribution and a very good choice for a production environment.  Gentoo
isn't there to compete with Debian, it just offers a lot of the same
advantages with a different focus - Debian focuses on stability and well
proven software - Gentoo focuses on bleeding edge technology and an
environment for development for people involved in those projects.  I run
Gentoo because I like to play around with new stuff, but if I were running a
business I'd probably be running Debian servers - desktops are a whole
different ball game!

> Thank you for the extended explanation on the delights of installing
> Gentoo by the way; got it running on your new workstation yet? I guess
> it wouldn't take long to compile on such a beast.

In short, no it doesn't - download speed has become the limiting factor
again.  By far the biggest things you ever need to compile are XFree86 and
(if you want it) KDE.  On the new machine XFree86 is reliably sub 30 minutes
to download, build and install.  This was actually a major part of the
reason why I bought such a powerful machine.

> Steve Williams,
> sdp.williams at btinternet.com
>
> "Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more, or close
> up the wall
> with our English dead.
<snip>

"... a little touch of Harry in the night.."
;-)

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"And I hope that you die and your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket in the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave 'til I'm sure that you're dead"
 - Bob Dylan, a pacifist :-)

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company