[sub] [Sussex] SQL Server

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 11:31:01 UTC 2003

> I'm rather lucky at the moment there isn't and critical thing that I
> have to do. But come about 2 months that server need to be
> working like
> a UNIX server. Hmm that's going to be damn hard unless I can actually
> convert a VC++ developer to change to UNIX/LINUX.

Well, you can make Windows servers relatively stable - it's combining that
with security, functionality and performance and not spending the GDP of a
small country doing it that the hard bit.  Rest assured, none of those
things are easy to do on any platform, it's just that Microsoft (and Apple
for that matter) would like you to think those things are easy upfront,
UNIX/LINUX  doesn't generally make those claims.

IN terms of converting a C++ developer.  Well, the big thing is to get him
to try programming in a UNIX environment.  From a C point of view UNIX is
way simpler than windows, froma  C++ point of view you need to think about
something like Qt3 to get a decent object layer on the OS - but, most of the
time the C API's are still good enough to do the job.  Anyone who's used MFC
would find UNIX programming easy!

There are bad points though, the main one being the lack of a decent IDE
(Visual C++'s IDE is pretty damned good), KDevelop is half way there,
Eclipse is kick arse-cool and is close to be a tool of choice for me these
days (it's slowly creeping in where emacs used to rule in my life), but
there isn't anything as tightly integrated as the VCC IDE ... of course
Kylix does C++ these days and has nice support for Apache, etc.. but that
way lies expense.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you."
-- Dylan Thomas

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company