[Sussex] Whoohoo, Compaq laptop on the mend

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Aug 1 15:13:00 UTC 2003

Dom

On 01 August 2003 at 14:50 Dominic
> Found this web page:
>
> http://tooleweb.homelinux.com/EvoN1015v/
>
> Whuch gave me this boot string:
>
> linux nomce ide=nodma pci=off

Okay so a change to the boot parameters get around out little
problem.  Didn't think to look there.

> And I can boot from ANY of my boot CD's....
>
> So, the question is... Whilst I can now install off a build
> CD (whch is nice!), what does this really mean for my ability
> to build my own kernel?
>
> The kind gentleman has supplied his own config:
> http://tooleweb.homelinux.com/EvoN1015v/rob4.config
> but... what is special about it?  Can anyone who has
> experienced my kenel builds point me in the right direction
> quicker than the month or two it may take me?

Next try them on the build image we did last night.  Look in
the lilo manpage to see how to add linux boot parameters.
Add the config to /etc/lilo.conf.  Re-run lilo and then
reboot to the new kernel build.

Well that's the first think to try.