[Sussex] Wireless

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 20:40:01 UTC 2003

Hi Dom

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 06:44:52PM +0100, Dominic wrote:
> I'm tring to configure my Wireless NIC (its USB!)
>
> I've built a kernel (! :D ) with USB working, I have checked /proc/bus/usb/
> and it exists now with a drivers 'file' containing the prism2_usb driver
> that I need.  I have installed linux-wlan-ng from it's website (which built
> the prism driver and created a /etc/wlan directory.
>
> I can do modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1 with no errors.
>
> When I try and run 'wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable' , I just
> get an error sayin 'no such device' (grrr).
>
> If I do an 'ifconfig' the usb NIC is not showing.
> What do I have to get the device to appear so I can configure it?

I had a little play with the wlan-ng stuff a while back and found it
to be less than perfect.  On the other hand the hostap stuff:
	http://hostap.epitest.fi/
worked find out of the box.

I wannted it for my access point so I also install the hostapd
package (from sarge) and got it up and running in master mode.
But I seam to recall that I did get it working in ad-hoc mode
first.  Of course it being the unit pluged into my home LAN I
haven't tried it in managed mode.

Also the prism 2.5 card I was using was a PCI baseed one not a
USB unit.

Hope this helps