[Sussex] Mozilla & glibc

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Aug 12 08:18:01 UTC 2003

Gavin

On 11 Aug 2003 at 10:01 PM Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Many thanks for your help. I had the horrible realisation about 5
> minutes  after posting this that I had missed some important point
> about glibc (There was me glibly referring to it like it was something
> I could just find & add). So egg on face for me there (I never shy away
> from being wrong & feeling a bit daft - it's a good way of learning &
> remembering).

I'm glad to see that

  1). Becuase I had a vision of you breaking you machine and having to
      re-install, and

  2). Because I also use the "try it and if it breaks learn from it"
      approach.

> As I write this on late Monday night, I haven't done anything rash or
> stupid. I will try installing libc6-dev & see if it helps.

Good.

> However, I should finally have a replacement set of Woody CDs from
> CheepLinux.com tomorrow or Wed. & I can then upgrade.

I know that Geoff (of Gentoo fame), & I may appear to be pushing
you into going for the net attach approach but there is a good
reason for it.  Debian is best used this way, okay it maybe a bit
slow on a 56K modem line - but that's all I have too.

For a networked machine line yours you really should be getting updates
from the net.  Why?  Well here is my little list:

  1). Because that is how the security updates are released that way
      and I'm sure you want your system as secure as you can get it
      when connected to the Internet.

  2). Are the CDs you're getting 3.0r1 (that's the lastest stable
      release).

> One week on & I am very pleased that I took the decision to dump
> Windows in favour of Debian.  So until Woody arrives, life with the
> spud ain't bad at all.

Please note that you should _not_ install a fresh debian over the top
of your existing system (although you can if you want - Debian is free
after all).  The better way is to load in your new CDs and then
"apt-get upgrade".  Check out the APT Howto - it also has instructions
on how to do it over the net.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/