[Sussex] Mozilla & glibc

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Wed Aug 13 23:48:01 UTC 2003

Steve,
libc6-dev is already installed, so Mozilla's latest will have to wait.
(Although Mozilla build 2000110321, which is on the 2.2r4 CDs has not
failed me yet).

> Gavin
>> As I write this on late Monday night, I haven't done anything rash or
>> stupid. I will try installing libc6-dev & see if it helps.
>
> Good.
>
>> However, I should finally have a replacement set of Woody CDs from
>> CheepLinux.com tomorrow or Wed. & I can then upgrade.

I got a replacement set of CDs this morning (Wed) but still not working.
I'm baffled - the 2.2r4 CDs work fine, but cannot get the Woody CDs to
work. Tried apt-cdrom add & it wouldn't mount the CD, yet other CDs (Debian
2.2r4, audio CDs & even a SUSE 7 CD from Linux Format [I want to rpm Star
Office 5.2 from it]) all work fine. I will take the lid off my machine just
to check connections, but all evidence so far says that my hardware is OK.

> I know that Geoff (of Gentoo fame), & I may appear to be pushing
> you into going for the net attach approach but there is a good
> reason for it.  Debian is best used this way, okay it maybe a bit
> slow on a 56K modem line - but that's all I have too.

I'm all for upgrading over the net, but how long will it take? We only have
one 'phone line & my partner needs it for her business most days. It would
be fine if it could be done in stages.

> For a networked machine line yours you really should be getting updates
> from the net.  Why?  Well here is my little list:
>
> 1). Because that is how the security updates are released that way
> and I'm sure you want your system as secure as you can get it
> when connected to the Internet.
>
> 2). Are the CDs you're getting 3.0r1 (that's the lastest stable release).

Yes, they're 3.0r1. They'd be even better if they worked.

>> One week on & I am very pleased that I took the decision to dump
>> Windows in favour of Debian.  So until Woody arrives, life with the
>> spud ain't bad at all.
>
> Please note that you should _not_ install a fresh debian over the top
> of your existing system (although you can if you want - Debian is free
> after all).  The better way is to load in your new CDs and then
> "apt-get upgrade".  Check out the APT Howto - it also has instructions
> on how to do it over the net.

My intention - when I have some CDs that work - is to use apt-cdrom add &
then upgrade. This seems a much better idea than starting all over again,
especially as I have 2.2r4 running so nicely.

I will gladly read the howto just to be sure.

> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

Thanks for your help,

Gavin.