[Sussex] Gnomemeeting digicam

Phoenix phoenix at comms.engg.susx.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 16:50:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, David Chapman wrote:

> I have been trying to get my cheap digi cam to work as a webcam for
> Gnomemeeting but cannot get it recognized as /dev/video0 for Gnomemeeting to
> use it.
> Digikam works fine for  the stored pictures.
>
> >dmesg output<
> hub.c: new USB device 00:0c.2-2.1, assigned address 3
> usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x553/0x202) is not claimed by any active
> driver.
> Linux video capture interface: v1.00

If this is the only message you get about the camera then you haven't
compiled the driver for it (if it exists for linux). You need to add
video4linux support to the kernel, and then the camera drivers will be
available in the "USB Support". Not sure which one will work with your
camera. You might have to get and compile an external module.

Google it and see if the camera is supported under linux.

If all succeeds you'll see in the kernel messages /dev/videoX to be
registered by your device.