[Sussex] Openworld goes pingless ....

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Mon Aug 25 16:53:00 UTC 2003

--On Sunday, August 24, 2003 18:58:31 +0100 Mark Harrison
<Mark at ascentium.co.uk> wrote:

> I have, in the past, got very fed up of people who think that anything
> with the word Linux in it is automatically an appropriate place to cast
> stones in the direction of Microsoft.

So I'd noticed ;-)  ... though how Microsoft keeps its Teflon coating
continues to amaze me.

> However, when it comes to casting stones in the direction of BT, I am
> fully behind you :-)
>
> Can I ask whether you're tied into a minimum service contract? If not, I
> would be happy to recommend you a FAR more reliable ADSL provider.

No - it's out of the minimum contract period.   The big problem is the lack
of a good handover process between carriers.  Working from home and with
the Internet having become an essential tool, downtime is an issue.
Unfortunately the Business 500 service I have (the one with the Alcatel
modem/router) is not covered by the nascent process for transferring
service between carriers.  The two alternative ADSL carriers I approached
both said they couldn't guarantee a seamless handover :-(  This is
effectively locking me in to BT.  I would, however, be delighted to change!

  Iain