[Sussex] I have a cunning plan...

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Dec 3 14:15:56 UTC 2003

Mark,

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 14:03, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Matthew,
<snip />
> Easiest way to boil the kettle from a PC would be to control the mains using
> something like X-10. You would need two bits of hardware:
<snip />

This is part of my plan,  My idea is to send a txt to an email address
which triggers a script to set up a number of things, including the
kettle and possibly something like xmms tuned to the radio, hence the
idea of procmail activating the xAP as well as various other tasks.

Haven't got a clue if this is possible, and want to give it a go without
caring if it is or not.  I like science proving me wrong, as I usually
learn far more than if I'd have got it right! :D

xAP is an OpenSource protocol for home automation info. Oh, and it's an
> OpenSource project I'm heavily into.

Does it have a website? I'd be very interested...

> If you fancy a trip over to Maidenbower to see "the automated home in
> action", let me know.... Alternatively, if you've got broadband, you can see
> "The Mark Harrison Video" at
> http://www.broadbandbritainchallenge.co.uk/videos_broadband_user_stories.html

I may well do, I'm only in Pound Hill, down by the Tavern, so I may pop
up at some point...

Cheers,

Matt
--
|Matthew Macdonald-Wallace                  |