[Sussex] The Big SLUG Read

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Thu Dec 4 19:48:06 UTC 2003

> Obviously, we've all read the BBC's big read, but with Christmas coming
> up,
> a few requests to Santa of the bound-paper kind would be appreciated.
>
> I'm not particularly looking for technical references / O'Reilly stuff,
> but
> more general reading...

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig (not an easy
read but well worth the effort)

Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh (gripping, surprisingly a  thriller)

Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life - Jon Kabat-Zinn (very simple
meditation guide)

Earth Story - Simon Lamb and David Sington (BBC book of the definitive TV
programs - gripping)

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie (corny but still
very true)

Seven Years in Tibet - Heinrich Harrer (you won't believe the stuff about
his Nazi past after you've read this)

The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson (brilliantly funny and insightful look at
America)

> ... some about IT would be nice, but interested on what are the "Top Book
> Recommendations" from fellow SLUGs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Regards.