[Sussex] CD Cooking - hot subject

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Dec 12 17:35:06 UTC 2003

Geoff will be able to explain properly Angelo, but as I understand it, it's so
your system can actually do the burning stuff - my mandrake install
automatically see's my cdrw as a burner so included the scsi emulation part
in the system, debian didn't when I set it up and had to include it in the
lilo append line, as per what Geoff said.

Then instead of seeing the burner as say /dev/hdx (or hdc as was the case with
me) it then see's it as /dev/scd0 (though when I was working this out for the
debian install, I found that there a couple of variations caused by which
scsi emulation module? (I think that's what it's called anyway) i.e. my
system has always seen the burner as /dev/scd0, but it could have been
/dev/sd0

And the only burning thing (?) that i've used under linux was k3b in KDE and
that was quite easy to use (even for a nugget like me).

regards

John D.