[Sussex] Installing Gentoo - more questions

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Dec 13 19:25:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday 13 Dec 2003 6:55 pm, John Crowhurst wrote:
<snip>
> Do you have an onboard video and a seperate video card that you show the
> screen on?

No, I have a generic Geforce 4 m420

<snip>

> Its always good to use alphanumeric passwords, rather than trying to be
> obscure. You just need to make sure that the password you choose isn't a
> dictionary word and is a suitable length. Postcodes work well as
> passwords, just don't use your current one :P

I managed to get in with guesswork (well I just tried all the keys that might
change with a US keyboard), it turned out that the symbol had actually been a
"\" sign.

The next of the questions is that now I can reboot into the gentoo, It drops
me in at level 3, as expected. To continue with the "GRP" install, I have to
get the packages from disc 2, the install guide says

"mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"
and then
"cp -a /mnt/cdrom/packages/* /usr/portage/packages/"

the main problem being that I then get the error about having to include an
"FStype", so I've tried the obvious, using the -t arguement from last week
and used "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" and if I check there
doesn't seem to be a mount point of /mnt/cdrom.

How would I make one?

Also, if I just try "startx" I just get an error, that looks like it's not
seeing my graphics card, so I have done an "emerge -k nvidia-kernel" though
I'm not convinced that that's all I have to do ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, and thanks for the assistance so far

regards

John D.