[Sussex] If not Lindows, then what?

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sat Feb 8 20:33:59 UTC 2003

> On this subject I've been told and read that the latest mandrake with
> fluxbox
> on is really got for old machines. although flux isnt that good for the
> basic end
> user.

The problem with older machines and window managers is the tradeoffs that
you have to do.

The distribution itself is just a choice of different qualities of what
gets installed and how.

If the machine is underpowered for KDE or GNOME, you will need to look at
alternatives, like FVWM (perhaps FVWM95, for its look towards start menu)
or QVWM. Neither of the latter are easy to configure though.

Look at some possibilities at: http://www.xwinman.org/

Also consider the possibilites of using a lighter word processing package
such as Abiword, instead of Open Office. It has many of the features that
you need in a word processor, but is much less memory hogging or slow to
start up as Open Office.

PPP shouldn't be a problem to setup, unless you have a winmodem.

--
John