[Sussex] Appology / continuation

Dominic dominic.clay at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 13 10:00:01 UTC 2003

> I was criticised at Thomson for making the exam I set developers in
interviews too
> difficult because 9 out of 10 candidates didn't make the pass grade. Er,
> excuse me?  THAT WAS THE POINT!

I totaly agree, this is exactly the problem with the MCSE exams, they are
riduculously easy.  All that is needed is the ability to read a book and do
a few 'mouse click' examples to back it up.  The exam can easily be passed
by someone in a 'bedroom IT' environment with NO commercial experience at
all.
Whilst there is nothing wrong with that in and of itself, it shuld be seen
for what it is, a kind of entrance exam for the M$ IT world, not a
certificate of graduation.

> The things about an MCSE is that _yes_ it shows some nouse and it
garantees
> a certain level of exposure to concepts,

I disagree, The exams require no nouse, except the willingness to _start_
learning (and read a book perhaps, which is possibly the most important
thing this candidate can show)

>but it doesn't really give any idication of quality or standard.
>The MCSE's i met rnage from the brilliant through to the idiotic

Or you could take a random selection of people from your local high street.
You would, I'm sure, get the same range of the stupid to the illuminated.
But would you give them a job running your IT systems?

just my 2p

Dominic