[Sussex] Appology / continuation

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Feb 13 10:29:01 UTC 2003

Neil worte:
----------
> Apologies for the snippage but it really all came down to this.
>
> I genuinely don't believe that Samba can work across multiple
> domains,
> across multiple sites, across multiple cotinents as well as
> the native
> offerings. I truely hope Samba-TNG will solve that but it's only just
> reached 0.3, so we probably have a while to wait.

Hmm.  I take that point.  I'm just not sure that Active Directory can do it
reliably either.  This is the route Thomson was hoping to follow and then
abandonned.  As you say.. other factors.

> But given a choice I would always put Samba in rather than NT/2000.
> Sometimes however there are other factors and then it can be
> a case of
> no choice. Being in that situation doesn't make one ignorent,
> which is
> where all this started :-)

Yes.  If _you_ made the decsion to role out Active Directory I would be sure
that you could back it up with a reasonable arguement.  I certainly would
not call you an idiot!  What I'e been trying to explain here is that what
annoys me is:

1. people who choose a Microsoft product without even giving thought to it.
2. people who pick a Microsoft product even when all the evidence they have
gavered suggests it is the _wrong_ decision.

.. I have been unfortunate to experience too many of these kind of people in
my (fairly short) career.  You, I, Nik, Mark, hell, the majority of this
list, we're IT people, we do this stuff and we _care_ about making the right
choices.  Too many people are in IT for the money and those are the people
who are always clammering to use the whatever tool Microsoft released this
week and will always pick a Microsoft tool because they feel that it will
advance their career (no one will question the decision and it's good
experience to put on the CV).

I have resolved (and I guess this comes through strongly) to _always_
question technology decisions - it doesn't make me popular but it does get
better results!

Sometimes I may come across as arrogant and argumentative, but the reality
is this:  I want people to actually think about things - sometimes the most
important role you can play in life is that of Devils advocate.

As far as a business decision goes, I'd always argue proprietary vendors are
going to have to be adding a _lot_ of value to justify the price gap
involved in comparison to OSS/Free Software and in most cases they have yet
to convince me.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to
make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to
life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral."
   - Richard M Stallman

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company