[Sussex] GPRS (and bluetooth)

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Feb 18 16:34:00 UTC 2003

Neil

On 18 February 2003 16:11 Neil Ford wrote:
> The best way to think of BlueTooth is as a body-lan.

This is the point of BlueTooth for me (although I use the term
PLAN or Personal LAN).  I want the BlueTooth link between my laptop
and my phone for the following reasons:

  1). It's cool :-)

  3). The phone already has BlueTooth

  2). Last time I looked data cable sets for mobiles were expensive
      (they maybe a lot cheaper now) and if I'm going to have to
      spend money then I want to spend it one something I want (see 1)

  4). I don't want a cable running from the back of my laptop to my
      mobile - doing it wireless is much cooler (or is this a part
      repeat of 1).

On 18 February 2003 16:01 Neil Ford wrote:
> The PCMCIA cards are pricey. USB dongles are much cheaper but I don't
> know what support under Linux is likely to be.

Thanks - that sounds like a good tip - is the power consumption of a USB
device less than PCMCIA?

> I'll have a hunt around and see what I can find for the DLink dongle
> I have. You're more than welcome to have a play at the next meeting.

Yes please - I'd like a play - I haven't switched GPRS on yet - but I should
still be able to get the laptop to talk to the phone if not get the phone
pass those packets on.

What kernel configs do I need?