[Sussex] GPRS (and bluetooth)

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Tue Feb 18 16:59:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:30:19 -0500, Steve Dobson wrote:
> On 18 February 2003 16:01 Neil Ford wrote:
>>  The PCMCIA cards are pricey. USB dongles are much cheaper but I don't
>>  know what support under Linux is likely to be.
>
> Thanks - that sounds like a good tip - is the power consumption of a USB
> device less than PCMCIA?

Umm... no idea. I would suspect they are probably similar.

>>  I'll have a hunt around and see what I can find for the DLink dongle
>>  I have. You're more than welcome to have a play at the next meeting.
>
> Yes please - I'd like a play - I haven't switched GPRS on yet - but I should
> still be able to get the laptop to talk to the phone if not get the phone
> pass those packets on.
>
> What kernel configs do I need?

No I really have no idea :-) Let's see what I can find out about
drivers, that hopefully will give you some clues. Of course, we are
hoping the Kings Head has wireless by the next meeting so that we can
download stuff if necessary :-)

Neil.
--
Neil Ford