[Sussex] Access migration to MySQL help, please?

Gareth ABLETT garethablett at phpw.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 17:50:10 UTC 2003

> Hi all,
>
> A client of mine has agreed to trial a MySQL / Web front end replacement
for
> one of their current systems - client contacts.
>
> They're a small business, and their current marketing database is in
Access,
> on the laptop of their marketing guy.
>
> They're marketing department now consists of three people, all of whom
spend
> most of their time in the road or at home, so this is not ideal :-)
>
> The two options I ran through with them were Notes or Web-based... You'll
be
> glad to know they chose web-based, and it's going to run on a MySQL
backend.

> What I actually need help with is getting the info from them. Their
> marketing guy is "NON-TECHNICAL", and concerned about just sending me the
> database. I've reassured him that, for the proof of concept, I just need
the
> STRUCTURE not the CONTENT.
>
> I don't actually have any Access experience. Does anyone know if there's
an
> easy way to say "make a new exmpty database, based on the structure of
this
> one"??? If so, he could do that, and mail me the EMPTY one :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Hi Mark

I'm guessing Geoff might know more then me on this one,
but I used to do a bit of asp that used access as a
database and I still have a copy on my computer.

As far as I know you cant simply export a blank copy of the
database, but you can run a sql  that will print the first
item of each table. but if he cant do that it might get diffacult.

Saying this I used an old version of access and things might
of changed.

Gareth Ablett