[Sussex] An odd question....

Dominic Clay dominic.clay at europrospectus.com
Mon Jan 6 11:17:00 UTC 2003

The one thing I think you can pretty much (nearly) guarantee with someone
who has a reasonable degree is they have been faced with some significant
pressure, and pulled through it.
There is a lot to learn (possibly the modular degree's lose something
here!), a lot to manage and you need to learn how to research a problem
well!

I learned so much from my degree, and very little of it was subject related.
Mostly it was the ability to research, present a paper to a panel, give
reasoned argument to a question (regardless of subject).  These skills are,
in my view, the ones that are difficult to get from many 'early career'
jobs, unless you are very fortunate.

Dominic

>Hmmm... it depends on the degree.  If you sent me a CV that said you
graduated with a good grade in Computer Science from Cambridge,
>Oxford, Brunel, Imperial, MIT, SAIL, CMU, Washington State or the like,
then I'd have a fair idea of where you stood as a programmer -  a >much
better idea in fact than if you turned up with four years experience in
$A_LARGE_COMPANY. If you turned up with a degree from
>Brighton Polytechnic (or whatever it calls itself this week) then frankly
you might as well have gone and got an MCSD for all I care - it >tells me
nothing, you could be brilliant, you could be crap, however, if the guy next
to you has all the same experience but doesn't have >that degree and you
both interview well then the guy with the degree gets the benefit of the
doubt.