[Sussex] Some webstats

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Sun Jun 1 16:59:01 UTC 2003

Well, the problem here is that getting peripherals working under linux is a
bit "hit and miss".  Buy lucky and you have no problems.  Be a little bit
unlucky and you'll spend a fiar bit of time on mailing lists and so on
sorting things out.  Be completely unlucky and the damn bit of hardware
will never work - generally because it needs some tweaks deep in the bowels
of the kernel.

What's missing is a good and up to date hardware compatibility guide for
all platforms (important for me - some drivers don't work on Macs).  Then
people will be able to buy with confidence and that will help bootstrap the
linux market.

  Iain

... anyone want a Travan NS20 tape drive (SCSI), one careful owner, found
not to work on linux ppc, supposedly OK on windoze.

--On Sunday, June 01, 2003 16:47:51 +0100 Gareth ABLETT