[Sussex] Re: Kylix and now PHP!

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 10:04:01 UTC 2003

> On 06 June 2003 at 00:28 john wrote:
> <snip>
> > The "more you sell, the cheaper it gets" attitude often found
> > in business does not seem to apply, when it comes to software
> > of a proprietary nature (especially when the proprietor is M$),
> > but about nailing you down and screwing the last drips of cash
> > that they can manage.

Steve Wrote

> I've snipped down to the one bit of you posting were I disagree
> enough to post myself.  I think M$ is no different to any other
> super-corp. with a monopoly.  IBM where much the same back in the
> '60s (or so I'm told).  One only has to look to the price fixing,
> and other illegal activities that cartels go in for from time to
> time to see that M$ is not the only one to use such tactics.
>
> M$ would be a much more customer friendly organisation if there
> was good competition.  It couldn't pull of licensing stuns in the
> ways it has or is customers would move over.  At the moment
> Linux is not perceived as ready or the flood would have started.
> I've got the feeling that the actual readiness is not the issue,
> but the perceived readiness that matters.

I Totally agree with this its the sad truth though.
I was reading computing yesterday and saw this little snippet

"Steer clear of Linux on the desktop"

A group called 'Giga Information' recon that it will be 2005 before
Its worth using Linux as a desktop environment.

And by that definition they recon also that Linux will be a
formidable challenge to M$.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.