[Sussex] Taking the plunge

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Thu Jun 26 23:49:00 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 23:33, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Hi Tom & all,
> Thanks for the link regarding the Lexmark - looks like I'll have to get a
> new printer (Hewlett Packard perhaps?). 'tis a shame, as I like the
> Lexmark, but if I'm going to be running Debian only, I must have good
> functionality. A bit more research on my part, I think.

If you're buying a new printer, and colour isn't an issue I can
thoroughly recommend Lexmark's E-series laser printers.  Dabs.com have
the E321 going for <£200 and I picked up an E323 for £260.  These
printers support Postcript Level 3 and below and PCL1 - PCL6 so they'll
work with just about every OS written in the last 15 years.  I have my
E323 hooked up to a linux box and CUPS is using ipp to make the printer
available to my wife's work laptop (WinXP - :( ) and her iMac (which is
really simple as Mac OS X runs CUPS as it's native print system!).

> Regarding WINE, I did mean printing from apps. running in WINE.

If you seriously planning on running Windows apps in the everyday it may
be worth your while looking at something like Win4Lin.  Wine does a
pretty good job though these days.

--
GJT
tealeg at member.fsf.org