[Sussex] Taking the plunge

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Mon Jun 30 00:27:00 UTC 2003

Hi there

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 00:09, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Hi Geoff & all,
> I could get away without using colour, so thanks for the idea.

Any time. My Lexmark E323 is now happily serving all the machines in my
house via CUPS.

> However I finally set up my system - either Debian & WINE, or
> Win95/Debian 3 dual boot, I shall need to use some Windows apps.
> for sound/MIDI recording & editing & music score creating & printing.
> I will try Linux sound related apps., but there doesn't seem to be
> much in the way of well developed score writing packages just now. If
> there were, Windows wouldn't even feature as an option for me.

I presume you've checked out Rosegarden:

http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/

.. I've found the beta's of the new version to be very impressive as a
score editing, sound recording and MIDI editing tool.

> It is a true sign of the help I have received on this list & at sites like
> DebianHelp.org, that I've gone from trying Debian 2.2 as a complete
> Linux newbie to wanting to run Debian as my sole OS.
>
> It would be v nice if the install for Debian 3 is a bit nicer than it was
> for 2.2. Here's hoping.

Debian 3's install is in a similar vein to Debian 2.2, but a little
nicer to use.  It's a shame that a distro as useful as Debian (and
indeed Gentoo) can't have an installer that is a little more Newbie
friendly.  Horses for courses though I guess.  I imagine 90% of new
Linux users come via Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, Lindows or the like, so
maybe this isn't such an issue.

--
GJT
tealeg at member.fsf.org