[Sussex] One is _not_ odd.

Emma Tindley emma at emmatindley.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 09:31:01 UTC 2003

Chaps,

Geoff here, on Sarah's Mac using a weird E-mail account while my
machine build Gentoo 1.4RC3.

Firstly - there is no such thing as a correct answer in maths,
maths is a purely theoretical subjects - if you're looking for hard
and fast rules you need to look at physics, not mathematics!

Having said that there is a question of the most common usage - I
don't know where you get your information from, but Borowski and
Borwein, who are responsible for the Collins Dictionary of
mathematics (which is specified by most Universities in England)
states the following:

An odd number must comply to _all_ of the following rules:

1. It must be an integer not exactly divisible by 2.
2. It must be divisible by 2 with a remainder part of 1.
3. It must be of the form 2n+1 for some integer n.

Blatantly 1 falls down on rule three, therefore in the theory of
mathematics as it is commonly taught, 1 is _not_ an odd number.

--
Geoff
Can't be arsed to type a sig in...