[Sussex] One is _not_ odd.

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Sat Mar 1 09:44:01 UTC 2003

Title: How not to argue in maths !
> Firstly - there is no such thing as a correct answer in maths,
> maths is a purely theoretical subjects - if you're looking for hard
> and fast rules you need to look at physics, not mathematics!
<-- snip and paste -->
> An odd number must comply to _all_ of the following rules:
> Blatantly 1 falls down on rule three, therefore in the theory of
> mathematics as it is commonly taught, 1 is _not_ an odd number.
Are we or arent we using hard and fast rules ?

oh well onto the proof.
> An odd number must comply to _all_ of the following rules:

> 1. It must be an integer not exactly divisible by 2.
Well 1 when divided by 2  results in 0 remainder 1, so this proof 1.
> 2. It must be divisible by 2 with a remainder part of 1.
If I divide 1 by 2 I get 0 remainder 1, so this is proof 2.
> 3. It must be of the form 2n+1 for some integer n.
so (0 X 2) + 1
#
So are we moving the discussion of proof from 1 is a odd number to 0 is
not a integer.

Thanks to Sharon ( Statistician and Management accountant ) for her
advice.

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

Any attempt to brew coffee with a teapot should result in the error code "418: I'm a teapot".

[RFC 2324] by Eric Green (eric @ at badtux . org)