[Sussex] Reverse proxy servers and HTTPS

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Tue Mar 11 22:20:03 UTC 2003

> Well, the sites that are being proxied already have certificates?
>
> Do I need a certificate for the proxy AS WELL?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

The certificate is only used in secure transactions. You can create your
own certificates as you go if the server is not public facing and isn't
being used to store sensitive information.

You don't need a certificate for the proxy itself as it doesn't deal with
secure traffic.

Anything that relies on SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to communicate will
need some sort of certificate. If you think of SSL as a box with a
padlock, the certificate is the key to that padlock.

--
John