[Sussex] Amiga

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 15:50:01 UTC 2003

Steve wrote:
------------
> Thanks for this.  Believe it or not I dusted of my Amiga Monday night
> and ran it up for the first time in (at least) 5 years.  I couldn't
> believe it!  The hard disk (Seagate SCSI - 45 Mbytes [Yes Megabytes])
> still booted.  Given the number of IDE disks have crashed since then
> I was amazed.
>
> Maybe I can get some upgrades for my old Amiga 2k and get it running
> Debian?  Got to be worth a go just for the "Geek Factor".

My old A1500 is still at my parents house (along with a fully operational
Sinclair Spectrum 48k), it still has a 68030 accelerator card, a 32Bit
graphics accelerator (which was only supported by the single piece of image
processing software - the namne of which I forget),  6MB of RAM and a IDE
hard drive controller (although the original 80MB hard drive was ripped our
and put in a PC years ago..).  Retrocomputing is cool, but very frustrating
in the day to day as anyone who used the internet on an Amiga will testify.
Up until the early 1995 this was my internet experience, using a 14.4k modem
and a crappy hacked together web browser, still it seemed like a big
improvement on the BBS's I'd been on.

The Amiga was _such_ a cool platform, but I feel efforts to revive it are
perhaps nostalgia run wild - even when they were going to use QNX I didn't
think there was a market for it.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"make music like mercy that gives what it is and has nothing to prove"
 - Ani DiFranco "Up Up Up Up Up Up"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company