[Sussex] Improving on UNIX

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 09:14:00 UTC 2003

Andrew wrote:
-------------
> The first thing you have to understand about BeOS file system
> is that it's
> not an file system but an data base.

Er.... all filesystems are databases - what you mean is that BeFS supports
index's and attribibutes so that it can be queried and managed like a
relation database.

>There are some massive
> advantages and
> it is why Microsoft is doing a lot R&D work in this area so expect lot
> patents on this issue very soon.  The are some serious
> problems as well but
> user dosn't know about them unless understand the issues involved.

Microsoft are planning on including the SQL Server engine to present a
filesystem for future versons their server platform _only_.  There has been
much debate as to whetherer there is a genuine motivation to provide BeFS
style functionality or this is just another attempt to integrate a product
with the operating system when there is a market that they do not dominate -
look at that pattern :

In the past:
Netscape domminates the browser market - Microsoft integrate IE into
Windows.
Real systems dominate the streaming media market - Microsoft integrate
Windows Media Player into Windows

IN the near future:
Apache dominates the web server market - Microsoft integrate IIS into their
server platform (we're already halfway there).
Oracle dominate the database market - MIrcosoft integrate SQL Server into
their server platform.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"make music like mercy that gives what it is and has nothing to prove"
 - Ani DiFranco "Up Up Up Up Up Up"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company