[Sussex] Improving on UNIX

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 09:17:01 UTC 2003

Nik wrote:
----------
> ok, but it will be easier for all of us if I just respond on
> this forum.
> So managing a operating system with a GUI. yes its possible
> if you want
> simple brain dead no though, dont have to learn, administration
> processes to be part of your Sysadmins skill set. However as
> Languages,
> written and spoken provide one of the strongest tools sets
> available to
> Humankind. A gui based interface for a language driven subset, like oh
> I dont know cuniform of the babylonians or hieryaglphyics
> {spelling} of
> the Eygptians was useful but restricted them in their developments.
>
> Languages are the stong foundation for common communication of ideas.
> Icons may represent the idea but they actually represent the
> actions on
> that idea and as such become context restricted.

Now _that_ was one hell of an answer.

So I guess the question here is, while we can bring mountain fairly close to
Mohammed, how do we convince Mohammed that he'd actually do so much better
if he'd just give up on his nice comfy chair and damn well climb the
mountain ? ;)

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"make music like mercy that gives what it is and has nothing to prove"
 - Ani DiFranco "Up Up Up Up Up Up"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company