[Sussex] Big news.. maybe

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sun May 4 18:36:01 UTC 2003

Someone wrote:
------------------
> > And what will this mean for Sun's tight control of Java?

Forgive me, but aren't Sun moving towards open sourcing Sun Java anyway?

I think HP Compaq will retain the Sun chipset production but may not retain
Solaris.  I think HPUX and Tru64 are pretty mych dead already.

HP Compaq may be buying marketshare, but Itanium 2 is not what that market
wants right now.

I were them I'd buy SGI instead, it'd be cheaper "off the shelf" has a lot of
expertise (both in SGI and Cray Research) and just needs some investment.
As you say, HP Compaq are buying some of the UNIX market.  Bear in mind
though, it's only Sun's midrange systems that aren't selling (which is more
than can be said for HP Compaq).   There is a lot of evidence to suggest that
HP Compaq are considering moving out of the Windows PC market - as the only
large vendors making money there are Dell (and of course Microsoft) and
significantly, Walmart.  Why continue to run a massively costly operation
that is making a loss and shows no sign of turning around?

Thoughts anyone?

--
GJT
Free Software Foundation