[Sussex] Big news.. maybe

Trevor Marshall trevorm at rusham.demon.co.uk
Tue May 6 21:34:01 UTC 2003

On Sunday 04 May 2003 18:36, Geoff Teale wrote:
> Someone wrote:
> ------------------
>
> > > And what will this mean for Sun's tight control of Java?
>
> Forgive me, but aren't Sun moving towards open sourcing Sun Java anyway?

They've certainly been asking their user community how they see Java
developing through the Java Community Process and Java Specification
Requests, but that's not quite the same thing.  If they're really planning on
opening the source then that's good news.

> I think HP Compaq will retain the Sun chipset production but may not retain
> Solaris.  I think HPUX and Tru64 are pretty mych dead already.

I can't see why they'd retain the SPARC architecture when they've already had
significant involvement in the Itanium design, and canned their own PA-Risc
chipset as a result.  And the Alpha architecture that Compaq brought to the
party is being phased out as well (IIRC).  To me that looks like HP-Compaq
are concentrating on Itanium.

> HP Compaq may be buying marketshare, but Itanium 2 is not what that market
> wants right now.

I'm not sure the market knows just what it wants.

> I were them I'd buy SGI instead, it'd be cheaper "off the shelf" has a lot
> of expertise (both in SGI and Cray Research) and just needs some
> investment. As you say, HP Compaq are buying some of the UNIX market.  Bear
> in mind though, it's only Sun's midrange systems that aren't selling (which
> is more than can be said for HP Compaq).   There is a lot of evidence to
> suggest that HP Compaq are considering moving out of the Windows PC market
> - as the only large vendors making money there are Dell (and of course
> Microsoft) and significantly, Walmart.  Why continue to run a massively
> costly operation that is making a loss and shows no sign of turning around?

Have a look at this from the Register (OK, it's from last September, but it
was linked off a page today..)

Trevor Marshall