Business, Linux, Ethics and Standards - [Was]RE: [Sussex] Yet Ano ther Windows Bug

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Wed May 7 12:23:01 UTC 2003

Derek wrote much of value and worth. :
--------------------------------------
<Shamelessly snipped>

Here here.

All this is very worthy, and the discussion is great, but the original point
made by Nik was this, he who controls the flow of information to the people
controsl the opinions of the people.  Most people are genuinely not
interested in harming other people - but naturally we fear that which we
don't know.  Before we can appreciate the truth we have to first get past
our own fear (and past the people who would use it as leverage) and try and
understand other people.

Microsoft is not an evil company and nor are it's directors evil people.
However the status of the company in the world economy is damaging to
society as a whole, and for that reason we must work to reduce that effect.
That is a battle that we are winning.  Microsoft (and those who make money
as agents of Microsoft) have a vested interest in maintaining their position
and as such will not always speak in an unbaised manner.  People who want to
bring them down a peg or two will equally talk with bias.  The people who
are in neither camp just want to here the truth.  But the first stage is
making sure they are aware that there is something they are not appreciating
and that there is choice.  Microsoft and it's agents have a monopoly on the
message (to the extent that they directly control certain media channels)
the challenge for the community is to counteract that.

--
GJT
Free Software, Free Society.

You have created a powerful solution for which there are no problems.
Everyone is impressed, but duly confused.

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company