[Sussex] html and stuff

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Wed May 7 15:46:01 UTC 2003

> Hi list,
>
> I would like to have a go at designing a website.

	Nice one and good luck.

> I have access to frontpage 2k and a copy of the orifice 2k "dummies" book. While I have also looked at whats available as an open source alternative > and all I can find is bluefish and amaya.

	You have just spoken one of the worst word known to man in the web design industry and that is frontPage.
	If you are planning to go anywhere with improving your skills in web design and coding I would suggest you either start with a text editor or some a better product that does wysiwyg without being made by Microsoft.

I tend to use a text editor for my web design and as a result the code is a lot better then that produced by a wysiwyg editor.

> Now, having to learn the frontpage from scratch is bad enough, bluefish appears to be more of an advanced/experienced user app and I don't even know > where to start with installing amaya (well except under wind0w$), let alone using it.
>
> So, as I hope the eventual result will be about my efforts to learn linux, if I use the frontpage to learn some of the techniques (obviously avoiding > anything that seems to be to M$ specific) when I save it as straight html, will I then be able to open it with one of the open source editors an modify it that way or will I have to get any imagery, screenshots etc from my mandrake install and e-mail it to myself to be able to get it from the mandrake to the frontpage, or can I just save it to disc, then boot back into wind0w$ and open the images with the frontpage?

Any images will copy from windows to Linux and back again without a problem normally.

> regards

> John D:?

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer
ITP Services Ltd.

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality, accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message. In reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full responsibility for its content and attachments.