[Sussex] html and stuff

Scoot Scoot at Eurobell.Co.Uk
Thu May 8 12:47:00 UTC 2003

    OK, I'm gonna put myself up for a kicking here.

        A friend of mine has a (very small, just starting out), business, just a couple of years old and I thought as a bit of free advertising I would see about setting up a site.  This was the second site I put up after playing about with the free site offered me by my ISP, (which happens to be Eurobell, rant, rave...).
Now I had no real experience, knew no-one who could help out, and we wanted this site up and running as soon as poss, but obviously we wanted it to be half respectable.  I took a look at HTML code and thought, WTF? and looked about for anything to make life easier.  OK, I know this is a real no-brainer but for speed of setup from knowing nothing to an acceptable looking site, (considering some that are about), I used NAMO Web Editor 5 on Windows (trial, 'cos I am tight and poor, a deadly combination).  Now we compared the site against another company that are in the same line of work, in fact they are the best known company around in this line, and their site was ridiculous, an absolute mess.  (VERY) Recently they have employed someone super-dooper web designer to update their site and it looks a lot better now, but for how much? and for at least a bit the site we had looked a lot better, and was all free (hosting included).  The site has now had nearly 10,000 hits, nearly 5,000 unique visitors, and we get regular email enquiries.  I have added a tiny bit of HTML code myself but know none really, but the sites up and job done.

        As I said a real no-brainer but it has done and still does the job it was put there for, and this led to me being asked to set up a site for an international equestrian company with bases here and in the U.S.

        Don't know if this of any interest/help but thought I'd mention it just in case.  For a peek at the site see http://www.stevessprayshop.0catch.Com
        Sorry for
                    1) The Pop-ups, but the site is free, and including code to stop them will probably get us booted off
                    2) The invisible window and entering the site, an .swf animation is displayed in Windows, and I thought all was fine 'till I tried accessing the site with my Linux setup and saw bugger all, but I've told the owner it doesn't display, at least on my Linux system and he said, "What system ya freak?  It's alright on Windows thought, yea?" and he likes it.

        Obviously this is of no real help in learning to design a site properly, but for us was a cheap and effective alternative.

                                Hope I haven't completely wasted your time,

                                                                                            Scoot

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John D.
  To: sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk
  Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 3:32 PM
  Subject: [Sussex] html and stuff

  Hi list,

  I would like to have a go at designing a website.

  I have access to frontpage 2k and a copy of the orifice 2k "dummies" book. While I have also looked at whats available as an open source alternative and all I can find is bluefish and amaya.

  Now, having to learn the frontpage from scratch is bad enough, bluefish appears to be more of an advanced/experienced user app and I don't even know where to start with installing amaya (well except under wind0w$), let alone using it.

  So, as I hope the eventual result will be about my efforts to learn linux, if I use the frontpage to learn some of the techniques (obviously avoiding anything that seems to be to M$ specific) when I save it as straight html, will I then be able to open it with one of the open source editors an modify it that way or will I have to get any imagery, screenshots etc from my mandrake install and e-mail it to myself to be able to get it from the mandrake to the frontpage, or can I just save it to disc, then boot back into wind0w$ and open the images with the frontpage?

  regards

  John D:?