Filenames (was [Sussex] html and stuff)

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Thu May 8 11:36:01 UTC 2003

> All
>
> On 08 May 2003 at 11:18 Geoff Teale
> <snip>
> > Reality is often not this way however and several web based tools
have
> > behaviour dependant on file extension.  It should be noted that the
W3C
> > website uses .html.
>
> So to break those browsers by creating directories with names than end
> with ".doc", ".htm", ".pdf", ... or what ever file extensions are
being
> used.

With PHP you can create images as some of you may know but the image
file
Then has to be called .php yet it is still an image and still loads
perfectly ok in IE.

> Assuming that you are using a Apache/Linux webserver then create a
> directory called "try\\this".  I wonder how IE will cope?  I might set
> this up and give it a try myself.

The browser would in this case I believe take on the method that is used

by the internet and load the page as it doesn't use its own file system
rules on the internet.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

----
The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality, accuracy
and content of information contained in or with this message. In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.